Older and vulnerable people often find it difficult to carry out small jobs around the home and may find it hard to find someone to do the work for them. Careline Community Service’s trusted Handyperson Service aims to meet this need for residents living in West Norfolk.
Types of help available
Types of jobs covered by the service include:
- Home safety – smoke detectors, key safes, grab rails, removing trip hazards
- Home security – security locks and chains
- Minor electrical work – wiring plugs, replacing fuses
- Minor plumbing works – replacing tap washers, fitting lever taps
- Home energy efficiency – draught-proofing, fitting low energy light bulbs
- General repairs and other minor jobs – small carpentry jobs, easing sticking doors, door reversals.
- Dementia friendly home assessments and works.
When visiting homes the handyperson will check to see if there are any other concerns they, or any other agencies, can address.
Work which cannot be undertaken
Unfortunately the Handyperson Service cannot undertake work involving the gas service, major electrical works except those indicated above, cleaning, decorating, gardening or external works above ground floor level.
This service is part of a county-wide Handyperson scheme and in this area is supported by the Borough Council of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk and Norfolk County Council.
The service does not however cover works which are the legal responsibilities of landlords.
“I have used the Handyperson Service a few times and have always been pleased with the standard of workmanship and the lovely manner and courtesy of the workmen” ~ Mrs. P, King’s Lynn